Thursday, October 4, 2012

LETTER TO VOTERS IN THE 11TH PLYMOUTH DISTRICT

Friends,

I am a candidate for State Representative in your District and I am asking for your vote on November 6th. The election will be a close one, and your vote matters.

Originally from Brockton, I am raising my family in Easton and have strong ties to both communities. I am currently a Selectman for the Town of Easton, having started in local government on the Town's Finance Committee. As a Selectman, I know the importance of an engaged, effective and experienced legislator at the state level. An active State Legislator can have a profoundly positive effect on the issues we are dealing with in our communities. With your support, I believe we can improve the quality of life for all of Brockton and Easton with serious and committed leadership at the state level. I believe I have the skills for the job.

When I became involved in local politics, I gained an in-depth knowledge of the financial pressures our communities are facing. I discovered that there were no easy solutions to our problems, and strong leadership and compromise are the only way to begin to tackle these issues. I decided to run for state office because I have the experience to take on the challenges our communities are facing.

Here are a few of the key issues facing our communities:

Jobs and the economy: This is the most important issue for voters. I know. I am an accountant and have run a small business for ten years. I work with other businesses' taxes, accounting and payroll. I know the challenges that small businesses face on a daily basis. They are afraid to hire, concerned about the unpredictability of unemployment taxes, and worried about new regulations that may impact their business. If elected, I will propose and fight for a tax credit for new hires, giving businesses incentive to grow while easing the burden on the unemployment system.

Municipal Finance/Unfunded Liabilities: Communities in Massachusetts are facing their own debt crisis. Heath care and pension costs continue to eat up larger portions of municipal budgets. If we don't address the issue now, we will be facing a tidal wave of debt that will cripple the Commonwealth. Most communities make the minimum payment every year on this debt to preserve local funding for public safety and education. The result-pushing the cost of healthcare into the future. Brockton's healthcare balance due is currently $700M and Easton's is $100M. Eventually, increasing taxes or cutting services will be the only solution. We need to address this crisis now. We need to make legislative changes to the health care systems for future hires and stem the tide of rising debt. Strong leaders address problems before they become too big to handle and this is one problem I will work hard to solve.

If you believe that these issues are critical, I ask you to compare my resume with that of my opponent. I feel I have the experience, both in local government and small business, which will allow me to hit the ground running.

I encourage you to email or call with any questions you may have. I can make a difference for our communities on Beacon Hill and I ask for your vote on November 6th. Please forward to any friends or family in the district.

Thank you,

Dan Murphy