Monday, October 1, 2012

MURPHY WON'T TAKE PENSION

PRESS RELEASE
Monday, October 1, 2012

MURPHY WON’T TAKE PENSION
MURPHY PLEDGES TO OPT OUT OF STATE PENSION

Easton, MA – Today Dan Murphy, Easton Selectman and Republican nominee for State Representative in the 11th Plymouth district, announced that he will opt out of the state pension system.

“For me, public service means public service. Being elected to office is not supposed to be about getting a pension. That’s why I will decline. Moreover, it will help save taxpayer dollars,” said Murphy.

Murphy will place his savings into a private retirement account. He believes that politicians should not receive a pension for serving in office.

“This is a small gesture, but I want voters to know that I will be a State Representative obligated to no one but the people of this district,” said Murphy. “I believe that holding elected office should not be a career, but rather it should be a point in a person’s life that, together with their work in the private sector and the community service can make a positive difference. I am going to the State House to be a fiscal watchdog for the taxpayers not a burden.”

“I am putting my money where my mouth is,” added Murphy.

Dan Murphy is currently serving his second term as a Selectman and has previously served as a member of the Easton Finance Committee. He was born in Brockton and attended the Kennedy Elementary School before moving to Easton. He graduated from Boston College, and now lives in Easton with his wife, Erica, and three young children, the oldest of whom is attending Easton Public Schools.

Murphy owns a tax, accounting and payroll business, located in Easton, and remains active in community organizations and businesses in the area. He is a member of the Brockton Rotary Club and the Easton YMCA Board of Governors, and is a corporator at the North Easton Savings Bank. He is also a member and former Board member of the Easton Chamber of Commerce.

For more information on Dan’s candidacy, voters can visit his website at www.ElectDanMurphy.com or call 617-293-4758.